Commercial Awareness: 2 Days
This introduction to Commercial Awareness business studies explains the answers to the following questions:
- Why is it important to make a financial case for change, how do we do it and what role does the business analyst play?
- What is financial accounting and how do we interpret the financial documents?
- Why are cash flow and budgeting so important and how do we do cash flow analysis?
- How do we measure the performance of a business? What is a business balanced scorecard? What are ratios and how do they help us?
- What does “value” mean and how can Value Chain Analysis help us?
- How do we analyse the environment outside the business?
- How do we understand the product portfolio of the business and the place of our products in the market place?
- How do we understand the culture and group dynamics of an organisation and why it behaves as it does?
- Why does an organisation structure itself in a particular way and what are the different types of organisation structures? What is a function and how does an organisation manage the boundaries?
- What is an operating model?
Some of the topics covered by Commercial Awareness:
- Value Chain Analysis
- Porter’s Five Forces
- Boston Box
- Organisational culture
- Balanced Business Scorecard
- Group formation
- Organisational structure
- Rules and procedures
- Operating models
- Building a finance case: payback, discounted cash flow, net present value (NPV) and internal rate of return (IRR).
- Financial Planning, e.g. budgets
- Balance Sheet
- Profit and Loss
- Cash Flow